National Land

Acquiring national land is initiated by applying to the commissioner of lands, specifying the location and acreage being sought. Applications for land in excess of 25 acres (0.10 km2), must also submit a development plan to the Minster of Natural Resources and the Environmental; this should include the specific location, acre- age, benefits to Belizeans, and financing available (minimum of three years) to develop the land/ property. An Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is required for ventures entailing more than 500 acres (2.02 km2). The Minister has the ultimate authority to approve applications.

Although all mineral rights are vested in the Government, mineral exploration licenses and mining leases obtainable through the Geology and Petroleum Department of the Ministry of Natural Resources an the Environment. All artifacts, whether found on private or public property, must be declared t and registered with the Archaeology Department.